Agency Workers Regulations: Are YOU ready?
With 1.3 million agency workers on assignment in the UK, the new Agency Workers
Regulations (AWR) – which come into effect on 1 October 2011 – could affect the
way in which agency staff are engaged.
The Regulations are designed to give agency workers a right to the same basic working
and employment conditions as would have applied had they been hired direct, once
they have been on assignment for 12 weeks. If you use the services of agency workers
for your own staffing needs, or if you yourself are an agency worker, you will need
to know the facts.
What is AWR and how will it affect me?
Here are some facts on AWR – be prepared and take action.
- From 1 October 2011, once they have been in an assignment for 12 weeks agency workers’
relevant terms and conditions of employment must be no less favourable than they
would have been if hired direct to do the same job
- Breaks between assignments of more than six weeks will usually reset the qualification
- The Regulations apply to working time, holidays and some types of pay
- The Regulations exclude sick pay, maternity/paternity pay, redundancy, notice pay,
payments related to pension entitlement, and bonuses not based on individual performance
- Agency workers may have rights to access ‘collective facilities’ from day one of
their assignment, which may include such amenities as a staff canteen, transport
or a crèche
- Agency workers may also have the right to be informed of any relevant internal opportunities
for permanent employment
Want to know more? Click here download a fact sheet on AWR.
Join our LinkedIn AWR group
To be part of the most important discussion this year, join our dedicated LinkedIn discussion page and talk to other businesses about their AWR concerns, opinions, and approaches.
We will be posing some important questions for you to consider, whilst being on hand to resolve any uncertainties that you may have around the new legislation.
Keen to learn more?
If you have any questions left unanswered, or would like more information about our events or LinkedIn group, please contact your local branch or email email@example.com today.